Bunting & Precision Bunting
To become a complete hitter, it’s essential for batters to know how to bunt the ball precisely when and where it’s needed. This drill allows for a high volume of pitches to be delivered in a short amount of time so batters can become comfortable with this skill and more accurate in their bunting placement.
- Position M2 on mound () and line bunters up at home (X). Place cones down each baseline () as target for bunters.
- Initiate drill by raising hand to put ball into the machine. Batter should square from hitting position into bunting position.
- Have players practice both sacrifice bunts and bunting for a hit to both the right and left sides, rotating after each bunt in order to get a high number of repetitions in the drill.
- Instruct bunters to get wide with their feet, with their chest over the front leg, allowing them to get low on the ball.
- Adjust pitch placement and velocity as batters become comfortable with the drill.