Pitcher Fielding Practice
This drill gets pitchers high-quality, high-repetition fielding work in a short period of time, covering a variety of different in-game scenarios in which a pitcher would have to field his position.
- Set up an R2 machine on home plate (), as well as one coach on either side of home plate (Z). Position pitchers in three lines – one on the mound (P1), one to the left of the mound (P2), and one to the right of the mound (P3).
- Position a third baseman (3B), shortstop (SS) and first baseman (1B) at their respective pre-pitch positions.
- The group at P1 will be preparing to field a ground ball/bunt and turn a double play at second base. The group at P2 will be preparing to field a ground ball/bunt and get a force out at third base. The group at P3 will be preparing to field a ground ball/bunt and throw to first or cover first base in the event the ball is hit to the second-base side of the first baseman.
- Initiate drill by raising hand to put ball into the machine. All three lines will working simultaneously, with coaches hitting/rolling balls to the P3 and P2 groups, while the R2 machine is used for the P1 group. Pitchers spend three minutes in each line before moving on to the next.
- For the pitchers in line P3, hit/toss ground balls/bunts toward the first-base side of the mound, forcing pitchers and first basemen to communicate on who fields the ball and who covers first base.
- For the pitchers in line P1, shoot ground balls/bunts from the R2 machine back toward the mound, forcing pitchers to field the ball cleanly and deliver the double play feed to the shortstop covering second base.
- For pitchers in line P2, hit/toss ground balls/bunts toward the third-base side of the mound, forcing pitchers to field their position and get the lead runner in a force play at third base.
- When time expires, rotate lines counter-clockwise.